Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Reflect and Respond




"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour."
~William Blake


My birthday was yesterday and while I was taking some time to myself the Lord started reminding me of everything that has happened this past year.  As I sat there thinking about this, I realized that I don't take enough time to reflect on my life, and time.  This is something that I believe we all need to do more of, because something that has become so evident to me is that as we grow older, time flies by faster and faster.  

I realized yesterday that this last year went by in the blink of an eye.  I could not believe everything I had done and how most of it, though a while back, seemed like it just happened yesterday.  This thought doesn't scare me, but it does make me think about how I need to change my mindset about life and the daily choices that I make.  I don't want to be 70 one day and look back finally just to realize that I missed so much and didn't do all of the things the Lord offered to me.  Instead I want to be 70 and realize that I didn't miss a beat, I didn't say no to anything the Lord asked of me, and I don't have any regrets because I lived life to the fullest.

In order to get to this place, it begins with our day to day reflection and choices that come into view from this reflection.  I believe that as we come to the alter of the Lord daily, we must ask, what He has for us today and then we must ask what we missed from Him yesterday so that tomorrow we don't miss the same things.  I don't want to live in the past, nor do I want to worry about the future... but I want to fully live today, which is done when we honor the past, prepare for the future, and see/live in the now.

In this place of daily reflection we must let our mind be transformed by the Lord so that our decisions line up with the plan God has for us... Only in this place of alignment will we truly be able to say in the end, "I wouldn't change a thing."  I don't know about you, but when my time comes I want the Lord to hold me in His arms and say, "well done my good and faithful son, I wouldn't change a thing."  Because when our heavenly Father says that to us, it means we lived in the fullness of what He planned for us.  

This cannot be done on our own.  It can only be seen and grasped when we live a life of complete reliance on the Lord.  The place where Jesus sits on the throne of our heart and we lay it all down at His feet, the place where we say to Him, "I'm all in."  I had a pastor from a church in Colorado ask me what the phrase "all in" meant to me on the missions field and this is what I said because it has to do with coming to the alter daily.

"To be all in means to be 'all out' of the way of Lord in my life.  It is the place we all should be and try to be, but the place we fail to be daily... And so shines forth the beauty of His grace.  To be 'all in' means that my life will reflect the Word and the Spirit daily, truth and power, none of which is my own but Christ in me who shines forth.  Oh how I wish I was truly 'all in' and yet even living on the mission field, I regret to say I don't fully know what it means... but I am learning what it means daily."  

We must reflect on life and our time daily so that we can make changes accordingly.


Be all in today!
Come to the alter daily and ask,
"What do you have for me today Lord?"
"What did I miss yesterday?"
Then learn and live in His GRACE and LOVE



On a side note, as you may have noticed I have been taking a slight break from continuing on the "Delusions of Degradation" series.  The reason being that I have not had a lot of time to really put my thoughts together in the form of a well articulated blog based off of the revelations I have been receiving during my times of study.  I don't want to rush this series and I want to make sure that the thoughts I put down are well thought out and well worded.  I will be stateside in a couple weeks and at that point I will be able to take the time needed, so it might be best that I hold off until then.  Thank you and love you all.



2 comments:

  1. From Bro Thierry (Rostrevor)

    Sorry Cassidy, this message has nothing to do with your text... As promised here is the quotation from Abraham Heschel: “A person is what he aspires for. In order to know myself, I ask: What are the ends I am striving to attain? What are the values I care for most? What are the great yearnings I should like to be moved by?” (Man is not Alone, p. 259).
    Moreover as your birthday was on the feast of St Francis of Assisi, here is a prayer from St Francis:
    "Let us desire nothing else,
    let us want nothing else,
    let nothing else please us and cause us delight
    except our Creator, Reedemer and Saviour,
    the only true God.
    Who is the fullness of good,
    all good, every good, the true and supreme good,
    Who alone is good,
    merciful, gentle, delightful and sweet,
    Who alone if holy,
    Who alone is kind,
    From whom, through whom and in whom
    is all pardon, all grace, all glory."
    This is my prayer for you!
    I hope everything is going well for you and all the team.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro Thierry,

    Thank you again for the quotation and I will probably have to read the book now to hear more about it. As well thank you for continuing to follow my blog and for the prayer on my birthday. Bless you and the fellow brothers and thank you all for allowing us to spend a few days with you.

    ReplyDelete