Monday, October 17, 2011

Coffee, Journal, and Time






I stare at a half empty cup of coffee that has gone from rather inviting on such a frigid Irish morning to dull and lifeless as the foam begins to harden over the top. My journal sits beside it beckoning me to fill it's empty lines, but the words just won't come. So instead I grab my computer and begin to vent upon technology the whirlwind of confusion that clouds my thinking.

How could two months pass by in the blink of an eye? When did the slender waist of the hour glass forget to keep it's shape? Do I have the right to be angry with her? Well of course I do... It's not my job to keep track, it's hers! But what if she didn't lose shape? What if I just began to do what comes naturally? What if I just became comfortable not paying attention? Is that what happened?

I can't blame her, I can't blame anyone but myself. Our time is given to us as a gift. We choose whom to give it to and what to give it to. I should really keep track of mine shouldn't I? Why do I pay such close attention to my money, my clothes, my material possessions but not my time? Ask me at anytime where my wallet is and I can tell you the exact pocket in my jacket and when I put it in there. Ask me where my computer is and I can tell you what room, what corner, and what I used it for the last 20 times I turned it on. Ask me about my time and the haze sets in slowly. My eyes become glazed over as I strain to recover the details of my currency exchange with the hour glass of life. Isn't our time in this life the most precious commodity we have been given? Is it really so easy to forget that our bank account of life has a set limit that we cannot deposit into? So why am I so careless with my time?

I sit here this morning and stumble over the right words to paint a the picture I wish you to see. Our time is so precious and we should take care of it. We should spend it on others and most importantly on our relationship with God. Wait a minute, that's it right there!

Something begins to crack the rigid pose of my face right now. Something begins to brighten the room as I generously smile at those around me because it has dawned on me.

No we cannot deposit more time into our account of life, but neither can we overdraw it! Our currency is good for everything and there is no limit on how much we can spend daily. Our choices are to do nothing and not spend it, or do something with it. Our Father in heaven gave us a set amount of days to use our account, but not a set limit that we could spend daily! As I realize that I sometimes forget how precious my time is, I will not let a few bad days of ignorance ruin a lifetime of abundant giving.

One of the greatest gifts we can give is our time because it is something we can't get back. Each moment is unique and non-refundable, once spent it is spent. So let us spend it wisely and today give as much as possible to God and to others! I want to look back one day and say, "that was a life well spent." Invest in love, laughter, hope, faith and the things that the Bible says will last for eternity. You only have one account, what will you spend it on today?

The cup of coffee has been drained and the vents in my mind have almost fully cleared the haze of confusion. I think I'm almost ready to take the pen to my journal now. I see more clearly that these two months in Ireland have truly been spent wisely and the smile that began to crack just moments ago gleams so brightly that the curiosity in the room has grown larger than the room itself. I can hear the thoughts from the strangers facial expressions seeking to know what could possibly make a person smile so selfishly. Here's a little secret they don't know that I will let you in on (and probably them too). My smile has become unending and impossible to mask because I realize that for two months we as a corporate body have invested in the most important product a man can spend his time on. For two months we have been investing in the eternal salvation of others... And here in Ireland... Business is booming! I can't refrain now, involuntary giggling has began to protrude through my mouth!

Ya... I'm ready to take the pen to my journal now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment